Mini Grant Program
SDSPS MINI GRANT PROGRAM POLICY
- SDSPS will budget up to $1,000 annually for distribution as SDSPS Mini Grants for projects that help SDSPS further its mission.
- Up to four SDSPS Mini Grants of up to $250 each in matching funds may be distributed annually.
SDSPS MINI GRANT PROGRAM PROCEDURE
- An SDSPS Mini Grant Committee shall be formed of three SDSPS Board Members, and shall be reviewed annually at the June meeting by the SDSPS Board.
- Any active SDSPS member may submit a proposal to the SDSPS Mini Grant Program for up to $250 in matching funds to promote poets or poetry in South Dakota.
- The procedure for applying for SDSPS Mini Grants shall be as follows:
- The SDSPS Mini Grant Committee shall put out a call for proposals in time to be printed for the Fall issue of Pasque Petals. The committee may also use other media avenues for publicizing the call for proposals.
- Any current SDSPS member, including South Dakota Poet Laureates, may submit a proposal to the SDSPS Mini Grant Committee.
- Proposals shall include the following:
*A cover letter summarizing the request and indicating how the proposed project helps SDSPS fulfill its mission.
*A Project Narrative that includes the following sections:
- Overview: Describe the project in 2-3 sentences.
- Needs Statement: What need does this project meet? Who will it serve?
- Project Description: Describe the project in more detail, including a timeline and personnel (including volunteers) who will carry it out. Include start and final dates for the project.
- Assessment: How will you measure the success of your project? How will it help SDSPS fulfill its mission?
- Project Budget: Include a budget that indicates how requested funds will be spent as well as where matching funds will be secured. Requested funds may be up to $250 in matched dollars.
4) SDSPS shall be recognized as a sponsor at all activities of the projects that receive an SDSPS Mini Grant. Specifically, information about joining SDSPS and/or submitting work to Pasque Petals shall be made available to all people associated with or attending the project.
5) A Final Report of awarded projects shall be submitted no more than 30 days following the final date of the project, and shall include the following:
*An overview of the completed project.
*An evaluation of the completed project using the measures that were proposed in the original proposal
*A financial statement indicating how the funds were spent.
*Receipts corresponding with the income and expenses on the financial statement.
*Copies of any program or print advertising for the project, and/or links to any online materials to show that SDSPS was recognized as a supporter and that participants received information about how to join SDSPS and submit to Pasque Petals and SDSPS contests.
South Dakota Poet of Merit
SOUTH DAKOTA POET OF MERIT AWARDS PROCEDURE
- An SDSPS Poet of Merit Committee shall be formed of three SDSPS Board Members, and shall be reviewed annually at the June meeting by the SDSPS Board.
- Any active SDSPS member not on the SDSPS Poet of Merit Committee may nominate a poet in either or both categories in the South Dakota Poet of Merit Award.
- The nomination procedure shall be as follows:
- The SDSPS Poet of Merit Committee shall put out a call for nominations in time to be printed for the Fall issue of Pasque Petals in the years preceding the appointment and also widely advertise the call as determined by the committee.
- Any current SDSPS member not on the SDSPS Poet of Merit Committee may nominate one poet in either or both categories for the SD Poet of Merit Award by submitting the following:
*A cover letter stating why the poet deserves the honor.
*A sample of the poet’s work, to not exceed 15 pages or
10 minutes of recorded audio and/or video. (If
poems are published, indicate where and when.)
*A bio of the poet, not to exceed three typed pages.
(Note: At their discretion, the committee may choose to further read or research the Poets’ writing and accomplishments in addition to considering the submitted nomination materials.)
- The deadline for nominations shall be February 1 to coincide with the deadline for submissions to the Spring issue of Pasque Petals.
- The committee will choose a South Dakota Poet of Merit in either or both of the two categories by March 1, in order that the recipient(s) may be announced in the Spring issue of Pasque Petals. If the committee does not deem any nominations adequately meritorious, they may choose to not name a South Dakota Poet of Merit for that year.