The current SD Poet Laureate, Christine Stewart, began her term on July 1, 2019. Check out her website for more information on the exciting work she is doing for poetry in the state. Additionally, she is assembling an anthology of poems about the cultural life in our state. Here is information on how to submit:
Call for Poems
Christine Stewart, South Dakota Poet Laureate, seeks submissions of poems by South Dakotans about people, landscapes, and cultural life of our state for South Dakota in Poems: An Anthology. Submissions will also be considered for publication on the South Dakota State Poetry Society’s website: sdpoetry.org.
· Poems should speak to cultural life in South Dakota: histories, people, places, landscapes, traditions, languages, habits, attitudes, etc.
· Author should have strong ties to South Dakota: If you are not a current resident, you must have lived in South Dakota for at least five years. Please note this in your submission bio.
· Unpublished/retained rights: These poems may be previously published, but you need to retain the rights or attain permission for republishing.
1. Accessibility and depth.
2. Excellence in craft.
3. Cultural significance of subject or theme.
4. Residency: Author lives in South Dakota or has strong residential ties to the state.
5. Contributes to the anthology which, holistically, reflects the diverse voices of South Dakota.
· Submit 1-3 poems in one Word document (.docx or .doc) to Submittable (click here).
· In your cover letter, write a brief, third-person bio (75 words or less) that describes your residential tie to South Dakota.
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Questions? Please email Christine Stewart at christine [dot] poetscholar [at] gmail [dot] com