South Dakota State Poetry Society announces the Fourth AnnualChapbook Competition for South Dakota Residents 18 and older
Four Quarters to a Section 2013
Rules and Guidelines
- Submit 22-25 pages of poetry. No more than one poem to a page, but a poem may be longer than one page. Pages of poetry should be numbered.
- Individual poems may have been published elsewhere and/or won awards, but the chapbook as a whole must not have been published anywhere else.
- Poems may be on any subject and in any form, and must be in English. No translations. Poems should not be racist, hateful, obscene or too erotic.
- The manuscript should be on white 8 x 11 paper, typed from the left margin, size 12 common font (Times New Roman or Ariel), 38 lines to a page (not counting title), please. Do not fold. Use a manila envelope.
- Poets may enter morethan one manuscript, but each entry must include an SASE for results and a $15 reading fee (check, no cash) made out to the South Dakota State Poetry Society. Entries without the reading fee will be discarded.
- Your manuscript should include: a) Table of Contents with no personal information, b) two Title Pages, one with just your title and no personal identification, second title page with the title, your name, address, phone and email which is very important since this contest is only open to South Dakota residents, c) an acknowledgements page listing poems that have been published previously, the periodical,anthology or book, and date of publication. This page will not be seen by the judges. It will stay with your personal information. All manuscripts will be recycled, so do not send originals. They will not be returned; only results will be sent to participants who include an SASE with their entry.
- There will be four winning manuscripts accepted for publication in one volume of poetry. Each winning poet will receive $50 and 2 copies of the book. Winning poets must re-submit their manuscript electronically for printing. The book will be 100 pages+, professionally printed and bound, glossy cover. Rights return to the poet after publication. Additional copies may be purchased at contributors’ discount of $10.
- Judges will read the manuscripts and select the four winners. The names of the judges will be announced after the contest. There will be no ranking of winners. Winners from previous years may not re-submit for three years.
- For more information contact Lawrence Diggs at 605-486-4536 firstname.lastname@example.org or Rosemary Dunn Moeller at 605-853-2667 or email@example.com
- Entries for the competition must be received by September 30, 2013 by regular mail. Send to:
South Dakota State Poetry Society Chapbook Competition
Rosemary Dunn Moeller, coordinator
19831 369th Avenue
St. Lawrence SD 57373.